leader ad

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Horror Marathon Day 9: The Mist director's cut


The Mist: Director’s Cut


So, once again, if there is anything artsy or fartsy I seek after those things… so when I heard that Darabont came out with a Black and White version of The Mist, I was stoked.  Anything to make something a little more elitist and I’m there.

Mist is a one of my recent favorites, and this version makes it even better.  In some ways it’s the perfect little horror film, all one location practically, this is the type of small-budget film that a screenwriter would want to make.  It makes me want to go back to some of my scripts and make them smaller in scope and filmable.

The Black and White treatment works well here, the SFX still look great, the blood now is black but doesn’t lose it’s gritty and horrific feel to it.  It now feels more timeless and classic sans color… now if it only was subtitled, then it would be perfect!  (Okay that was a joke)

On a side-note I just realized how many of the Walking Dead cast are in this, man Tom Jane would have been such a better Rick Grimes.  Now that I am watching this for the 2nd time, I really am picking up the Walking Dead thesis in this film, that being that Humanity is the real threat, and the outbreak (zombies or monster in this case) is only the catalytic setting to what the story really is about, how we turn on ourselves.  I bet that’s what drove Darabont to Walking Dead, this basically is Walking Dead the movie.

I can’t end this without talking about the ending.  Let me get this on the record, I love depressing endings.  This fits the bill.  I think what happens in the end is brilliant and one of the best endings of a horror film.  The music is perfect and it’s haunting the pain that our hero goes through at the end.


This is one of my favorite horrors from the last 5 years, if you haven't seen it, go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leader ad