leader ad

Monday, October 15, 2012

Horror Marathon Day 15: The Kingdom miniseries


The Danes are jacked up man!

Okay boys and girls, I'm changing things up a little, we are half-way through the month, I still am unemployed and there's only so many risks I can take in watching horror movies that I have no idea if they are good or not.  So, every now and then I'm going to branch out into other horror media like books, tv and comics that I  KNOW are badass.  Hence we are here, with the Danish tv show The Kingdom.

I am going to say RIGHT NOW that the Kingdom is awesome and the best horror tv show ever made.  To support this argument I have one word for you... Lars von Trier.  That twisted mofo made this back in the day in 1994.  I saw this actually back then in 1996 when newly married we went to the video store and they had these VHS tapes of this foreign tv show that the guy at the counter said were freaky.  And indeed they are.  Let me break this down to you.

The Kingdom came out in 1994-1997.  Originally titled Riget, The Kingdom had 2 seasons of 4 hour episodes each, aptly named The Kingdom and The Kingdom II.  You can find them still on dvd online and it's worth the money. So that's around 8 hours of some good TV.  The story is about a hospital that was built on top of some spiritual sacred ground and now is haunted.  I'm not talking American poltergeist-haunted, I'm talking Danish-style women pregnant with demon babies, crazy Dutchman, a voodou janitor and these two creepy Down-syndrome dishwashers.  That's right I said it.  Whenever you use the Down-syndrome kid for scares that's jacked up.  It's creepy I tell ya! The acting is great, it's not all about the spooks, the 2 leads are brilliant and there's some great rivalry with the Danes and Dutch on this show.  It's honestly one of my favorites.

Now you might have recalled Steven King thought he was all tough and made an adaption here in the states of the Kingdom, but it tanked.  Ignore that, I laugh at his failure and go and rent, buy, steal the KINGDOM!


No comments:

Post a Comment

leader ad