leader ad

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Witchfinder General




Vincent Price.  You gotta love him.  My first exposure to him was the Michael Jackson Thriller song, (yes I’m a huge Michael fan).  At the time of course I didn’t understand the significance of having Vincent on the record, but later on, I figured it out. 



I’ve seen most of the classic hammer films, which I definitely recommend to horror fans out there.  House of Usher, Pit and the Pendulum and The Abominable Dr. Phibes, are all classics, so I hoped that this unknown to me little treasure would be something that I really enjoy.

Right when his distinctive voice is heard you know you are in for a treat.  They just don’t make ‘em like that fella anymore.  While some might not consider horror, and by today’s standards you might be correct there are some good things to this film.  Namely Mr. Price.  He’s not in the film enough for my tastes, but even without him there really is some very good acting and terror in this film, particularly towards the end.  It reminds me of some of those old EC comics, and pretty horrific in what they depend mankind will do to themselves.  Let’s be straight, there’s no monsters, or supernatural elements to this, the horror comes from people and what they will do in the name of religion.  The scenes of torture and witch-finding are much more horrific than something like Hostel, mainly it’s because of the great acting, and the directing. 

If you like Vincent Price, the old Hammer films or just something different, take a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leader ad