leader ad

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Horror Marathon Day 3




Now we are getting somewhere!
Byzantium has a very Anne Rice-ian feel about it, and I forgot how much I enjoy that period gothic horror.  The two female leads are great on stage and we get a real sense of their relationship early on.  It's shot very well, written and acted with skill.  It's not revolutionary or groundbreaking like Near Dark or Lost Boys in terms of the modern vampire story, but I think it has some great moments and looks great.
 
The flashbacks to the past are very well done, and I like the effect of how the world looks when you turn vampire.  It would have been nice to see a little more of that kind of thing.


The main love-interest was fine, a little tiresome, but what can you do when this is the story you have to tell.  I think something like Let Me In does a better job at a unique look at a relationship that is quasi romantic with the undead.

This is the type of story I'd like to see more of, learn the world and the vampire organizations.  I liked this movie a lot, if you dig the modern vampire story with some gothic/romantic elements to it, I say check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leader ad